Kandath Tharavad Homestay, a diamond classified heritage home among paddy fields in an interior village of Palakkad, North Kerala. Great place to be, if you love villages, greenery and serenity. The ancestral home of the Kandath family. The house located in Thenkurussi village was built in 1794.
The house is a two hundred years old. A gem of traditional Kerala architecture constructed primarily of mud and teak. The Most striking feature of the house is the frontal raised area with grand bulbous pillars fashioned in teak wood at each corner rising to glorious carvings of elephants, snakes, fish and dragons. The floor is covered in natural dyed tiles of ochre, terracotta and blue.
All doors in the house are low, narrow and high stepped, constructed with teak hooped with brass. The theory is that whoever the visitor, any entry to the house was impossible without them according respect in the form of a low bow. All the four bedrooms have ensuite facilities. But the whole emphasis of the house is on its cool and airy public areas.
A morning walk to the paddy fields will make your mind fresh. Extend the walk to the nearby local tea shop, share your world with that of villagers over a tumbler of tea.
Cycling trips or a Bullock cart ride along small winding roads through an unspoiled countryside are some of the interesting activities awaiting you.
Sightseeing trips organised from Kandath Tharavad Homestay
- Trekking into Silentvalley National Park
- Trekking at Nelliyampathy Hills – Day Trip
- A visit to Prambikkulam Wildlife Sanctuary – Day Trip
- Birdwatching at Parambikkulam Day Trip
- Fishing Excursion to Siruvani Lake – Day Trip
- A House Boat ride in the Back waters – Day Trip
- A visit to Kerala Kalamandalam ( School of dance and music) and to the Guruvayoor Elephant stables – Day Trip
- Toddy Tapping
- A session with the family Astrologer
- Cooking classes on Tharavad dishes with the cook
- Visit the Martial Art School
- Learn Yoga and Meditation at the Tharavad
- Experience a Rejuvenation Ayurveda Masssage
- Bicycle through the winding roads in the country side
- Dance and Music: A private performance of Indian Classical Dance and Music can be arranged at the Thalavad